Commuter Comments of the Metro North

The community of riders of the Metro North Railroad: almost a subculture, but not as cool. A lifestyle without personal imput. A public space without permanent location. Two hours a day spent in the rickety, expired, broken cars of the most expensive commuter rail in the country, carrying people from the richest zip codes in the US to New York City. It's pergatory. It's a silent sitcom. It is... the New Haven Line.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Intro to Fairfield County Commuter Culture

Commuters can either compromise a cute culture, or totally skeeve, presenting gestures so inappropo that only a writer would find them amusing.

Schmoozing white-collars by day, but at hearth, uncooth maldoers.

Executive 1 cannot wait to eat dinner. He is famished. He managed to snatch a take out tray of rice, meat, and some unidentifyable cheesy side. He rampantly unwrapps it and prepares to eat, the scent swirling with that of the courtesy restroom. His cell phone rings. He jumps and drops the dish onto the quiet woman next to him. "Whaaa happent?" she wonders.

"My cell phone. I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Buddy, was your call worth spilling onto a fellow passenger? Eat up.

...

The aged exec struggles to fit his wooden briefcase in the seat next to him, and diagonal to me. I suggest he puts it on the seat next to me. He ignores me, but procedes talking to SOMEone.

...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home