Commuter Comments of the Metro North

The community of riders of the Metro North Railroad: almost a subculture, but not as cool. A lifestyle without personal imput. A public space without permanent location. Two hours a day spent in the rickety, expired, broken cars of the most expensive commuter rail in the country, carrying people from the richest zip codes in the US to New York City. It's pergatory. It's a silent sitcom. It is... the New Haven Line.

My Photo
Name:
Location: NYC

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Romance on the Metro North

There are a few other characters whom I may have failed to introduce:

1. Running Man - Incredably tall and skinny. His stature suggests he jogs. Usually has a coffee in the morning. Has a friendly disposition, sometimes wears khakis, sometimes gray pants.

2. Drew Carey Man - He looks like a younger, slightly thinner version of Drew Carey, with wavy hair. I'm guessing computer programmer, but a cool one that works with the company rather than a creep shoved in a corner with the other IT freaks.

3. PowerSuit - She is my businesswoman idol. Her hair is always blow-dried perfectly into a shoulder-length, curled under straight cut. Her tiny body is packed perfectly into a glamourous dark power suit everyday, and her makeup just enough to give her a polished look. I aspire to wear a powersuit everyday (as opposed to my current office rule of : "Just look stylish incase we have an event to go to, and pulled together in case an investor walks in").

Anyway, I was disappointed one day when PowerSuit was wearing capris and a ponytail on a casual Friday, and came on the evening train gabbing with friends. She spoke like a girly-girl, and was holding a girly magazine. So disappointing! What about commerce, or revenue, or Crain's?! A packet of financials, anything but US!

A few days later...

Even more surprisingly, she was gabbing with the Drew Carey Man and Running Man. I figured they've been commuting from the station so often, they just met somehow. Or maybe they're neighbors, or even collegues.

Next day...

I spy BusinessSuit holding hands with Drew Carey. True, they look darn cute, and Running Man looks like the content third wheel. But I must admit I would never have expected her to go for him. I can see her with a lawyer, a day trader, someone serious, also in a suit. But perhaps she's been through that, and wants to come home to a cheerful somebody who's professionally less than her at the end of the day. Clearly she wants to leave work behind, since she reads gossip rags on the commute rather than BlackBerrying the whole ride home.

Well I suppose they have my blessings. It's just so cute so see a puppy love couple on our little traveling circus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home